When it comes to our skin care routine, we are getting more curious about the ingredients we are actually putting on our skin. With the rise of natural botanical ingredients in skin care products, people want to know what the ingredients do for us. Yarrow is a botanical ingredient that has been around for thousands of years and it’s time that we know all about the Yarrow skin benefits and why it keeps appearing in our skin care product ingredient lists.
What Is Yarrow?
The Yarrow plant, also known as Achillea Millefolium, is a perennial flowering plant that is native to Europe and Asia. It’s name pays homage to Achilles, the Greek mythology hero, who is rumored to have used it on the battlefield to treat his soldier’s wounds. The Yarrow plant has been used in Ayurveda, Chinese medicine as well as Native American medicine for centuries.¹
What Are the Benefits Yarrow Provides for Our Skin?
The benefits of Yarrow seem to be almost endless. With research, scientists have identified more than one hundred active chemical compounds in the yarrow plant which bring along with them a whole array of uses, both internally and externally.² Here are some of the specific benefits it has been found to provide for the skin.
- Used as an antiseptic – to help fight against infection-causing bacteria
- A natural astringent – to tighten the skin, shrink appearance of pores and help reduce acne
- Anti-inflammatory properties – to help soothe the skin
- Analgesic – to help with mild pain relief and irritations
- Helps with healing broken capillaries
- Promotes good pH levels in the skin³
- Helps restore the moisture content within the skin,making it great for fighting eczema
- Promotes healing of cuts and grazes on the skin while reducing scarring
- Ideal for sensitive and problematic skin
It’s clear to see why Yarrow has been used throughout history and why SkinMD Natural shielding lotion uses it as one of its botanical ingredients. Not only is it nourishing, it is extremely restorative and helps heal the skin.
Knowing your ingredients helps you make informed decisions about your skin care products. Being aware of the yarrow skin benefits helps you understand why it can be such a valuable ingredient to look for.